Saturday, March 31, 2012

The little hummingbird



Yahgulanaas, N, M.(2010). The little hummingbird. Greystone Books.
ISBN : 978-1-55365-533-6
The little hummingbird is such an insignificant animal in the forest. One day the forest was on fire. All the creatures fled away from their homes except a little hummingbird. She picked up a single drop of water from a lake nearby in her beak and dropped the water off onto the ferocious fire. She continued to fly back and forth between the lake and the forest without any complaining. All the other animals wondered what the tiny bird was doing. The little hummingbird replied, “ I am doing everything I can.”
This book tells a parable with origins among indigenous people of South American. I like to read this book for 3-5 years old children because the story is simple ,easy to understand but its meaning is significant. The story encourages every one to take responsibility to protect the environment.
The book is painted by renowned artist Michal Nicoll Yahgulanaas, who has a unique Haida Manga style. It is a hardcover book and is printed on durable thick paper. The story of the book evokes questions about why the tiny hummingbird is willing to take such a huge responsibility. After reading the book, I hope children can identify themselves with the tiny bird and appreciate every little right action they can do. I think children will enjoy the book because the content of the story is attractive and all the animals are painted in a distinct style. I was drawn to the book after I read story about Nobel Peace Prize Laureat Wangari Maathai who is a real life little hummingbird . Her action has inspired millions of people in Kenya to protect the environment.

Provocation:
I will print out the little hummingbird picture and tape it on the wall. I would not say anything for a few days, just observe children’s reaction. The other provocation is to praise a child for doing a good thing by giving him/her a little hummingbird card. Children will relate good actions to the hummingbird card, it will help them to understand the parable of the book.

Four ways to present:
1) Box Sets
I have painted story pictures on three sides of each box. There are 4 boxes in total. I will start telling the story from the biggest one .Then I pull the medium size box out and pile it on top of the biggest one ,I will continue to tell the story till I talk about all the pictures on the smallest box. When the story is finished , I will pile up all the boxes with the bottom sides facing the audience .On these sides a totem pole is painted.
2) Felt Story
Felt board (black)
Felt characters: I will make felt images of the characters in the book : hummingbird, elephant, beaver, frog, birds, squirrel, rabbit, wolf, owl, bear.
3) Storyvine
I will draw or scan pictures on white paper and laminate all the characters so that they can be clipped to a clothes line. I choose this method because I think this story is good to present out of doors, in the woods or forest . Children will then have a real experience connected to the story.
4)To tell the story
I will tell the story with the book and meanwhile play for the children some sounds like the noise of fire cracking and animals running etc. I can give each child a piece of paper to crumple like fire cracking and instruct them to pat on the ground to make the sound of animal running. After I read that “all the animals huddled at the edge of the forest and watched. All except for one.” I will set the book aside and ask, “Who is that one and what is she doing?” I hope the image of the tiny bird will cause sharp contrast to the superhero that children might have. Later children will realize that if they take responsibility , they also can do extraordinary things.

Three possible extensions:
1) Create a book called “I am a little hummingbird.” Children can draw pictures about what things they can do or let others take photos about them. It will encourage children to take responsibility and be proud of doing little things.
2) Field trip to Aboriginal Museum . Children may wonder about the images on a totem pole. The trip will expand their understanding of Native culture and art . We also can build our own totem pole by using various materials.
3) Discuss the end of the story and talk about story of Laureat, a “little hummingbird” in real life. Encourage the children to make their own special thank-you card and mail it to Laureat.
The little hummingbird on PhotoPeach

No comments:

Post a Comment